[linux-lvm] Importing Problems

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Thu Jan 24 10:10:02 UTC 2002

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Emiliano Ariel Lesende wrote:

> ------------------------- TERMINAL -----------------------------------------------------
>
> Look at the vgextend command... it says that my volume is not active, but when I do a vgchange -ay I tells me that it is already activated. Other thing I don't
> understand is why my physical volumes are all inactive the the system is mounted?
>
> Did I do something wrong? Can I correct this?
>
> Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
> Emiliano Lesende

Did you add disk from a machine with a volume group already called system?

You should have done a vgexport first if you did, if you don;t you get two
possible problems a name clash, Active groups have a number starting with
the first oen you created and that can clash too... Don't look like that
in your case, in both cases you can avoid it with vgexport/vgimport

You could ty renaming your volume group, that should allow the shadow
"system" group to show,

vgrename /dev/system /dev/system2

then do a vgmerge of system and system2 into system

James