[linux-lvm] filesystem errors

Dimitris Zilaskos dzila at tassadar.physics.auth.gr
Fri Mar 1 07:56:02 UTC 2002

 Hello ,
 I have setup an lvm consisted of 10 loopback attached files which are
exported with samba from windows2000 workstations . Occasionaly , during
write operations i get messages like the following

EXT2-fs error (device lvm(58,0)): read_inode_bitmap: Cannot read inode
bitmap - block_group = 1521, inode_bitmap = 49840129
EXT2-fs error (device lvm(58,0)): read_block_bitmap: Cannot read block
bitmap - block_group = 1521, block_bitmap = 49840128

after that i must perform a umount and filesystem check which finds and
fixes some errors . Data is usually only slightly damaged .  Read operations
work fine no matter how intensive they are .

On kernel 2.4.16 , there were no such errors but there were oopses , again
during write operations . From 2.4.17 to the 2.4.18-ac1 i am using now ,
the ext2 errors showed up .  The lvm tools version is 1.0.3 . All kernels
are smp .
 I did several huge transfers between the workstations and the linux box ,
as well as pings with big packets to make sure the networking is ok , and
it seems to be . No packetloss with 65000 bytes packets ,no suspicious
delays . I really want to track this problem down . Any help is
appreciated .

 Kind regards

Dimitris Zilaskos

Department of Physics @ Aristotle Univercity of Thessaloniki , Greece