[linux-lvm] Re: Problems running with LVM on RedHat 7.2

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Mar 1 11:32:01 UTC 2002

On Mar 01, 2002  09:30 -0600, James T West wrote:
> The problem with running "vgscan" with every boot, is "vgscan" first
> destroys /etc/lvmtab and all the files in /etc/lvmtab.d.   These are very
> important files containing your LVM Volume Group description.  These files
> were probably "good" files when your system was shutdown.   If "vgscan"
> runs into any problem while running, it will fail to recreate these files,
> and you will not be able to access your volume groups without first
> restoring these files.
>
> In my view "vgscan" should only be run manually, and should not be run
> automatically on every boot.  Running "vgscan" on every boot is not
> necessary, and can potentially cause serious problems.

I totally agree, and have stated this in the past.  It would be nice if
the "pvscan" command updated the list of available PVs, but did not
change the VG layout _at_all_ (where the VG layout only referred to
PVs by UUID).  I believe that LVM2 does this (at least I hope).

Cheers, Andreas

PS - James, can you please learn to trim your quoting a bit???
--
Andreas Dilger