[linux-lvm] vgscan errors

I'm getting the following errors when running vgscan from my custom rescue CD:

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "first_vg"
vgscan -- ERROR 2 writing volume group backup file /etc/lvmtab.d/first_vg.tmp in vg_cfgbackup.c (line 270)
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "first_vg"

Unfortunately, I can't figure out why it couldn't write the backup file. The directory is successfully created, but apparently it can't write the files there for some reason.

If I do a -v I get a little more info:

vgscan -- storing volume group data of "first_vg" in "/etc/lvmtab.d/first_vg.tmp"
vgscan -- storing physical volume data of "first_vg" in "/etc/lvmtab.d/first_vg.tmp"
vgscan -- storing logical volume data

of "first_vg" in "/etc/lvmtab.d/first_vg.tmp"

vgscan -- ERROR 2 writing volume group backup file /etc/lvmtab.d/first_vg.tmp in vg_cfgbackup.c (line 270)
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "first_vg"

This is a new machine and all I have done is create the volume group, mount it and copy data down to it. I then rebooted and tried to run vgscan again to confirm the consistency of what I had done and got the above errors. I've done this exact procedure several times before with no problems. I'm using LVM 1.0.1 with kernel 2.4.16 patched for XFS.

Is there anything else I can try? Ideas?

Thanks!

Kelly

-- Kelly Corbin
-- Systems Administrator