[linux-lvm] LVM System

Steve Wray steve.wray at paradise.net.nz
Mon Mar 4 18:01:02 UTC 2002

Well, thats possible. The best thing to do is run
benchmarks (I like iozone) on the proposed
system and see what works best.
The tests I did were just on small filesystems (1G volumes,
64M, 128M and 196M RAM). Filesizes I tested were only
up to 500M or so.
I found that while most tested filesystems (reiser, XFS,
ext3 and vfat) did drop off in performance as filesize
increased, XFS dropped off the most rapidly in that
dimension. ext3 was the most stable (in performance as filesize
increased), though its small filesize performance was the worst.
XFS looked like kinda the opposite!
:)
Reiser had the worst write performance of all of them,
but admirable read.

YMMV.