Re: [linux-lvm] Re: Migrating root problems... (svetljo)

title Net Hat Linux (2.4.7-10) VLM Support
       root (hd0,0)
       kernel / boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10feb2002 mem=250M ramdisk=5038 ro
root=/dev/q3xvol/ro
       initrd / boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.7-10feb2002.gz

isn't it mentioned in the how-to smth about ramdisk ~8000
you can try to append at boot ramdisk_size=10000 or smth bigger
and option ramdisk seems to be depricated

Sorry, but I doesn't understand you....

snip from linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------
raid= [HW,RAID]

ramdisk= [RAM] Sizes of RAM disks in kilobytes [deprecated].

   ramdisk_blocksize=
           [RAM]

   ramdisk_size=    [RAM] New name for the ramdisk parameter.

and from the lvm how-to
http://www.sistina.com/lvm_howtos/lvm_howto/Converting_a_root_filesys.html

1. Add an entry in /etc/lilo.conf for LVM

This should look similar to the following:

 image   = /boot/KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME
 label   = lvm
 root    = /dev/vg/root
 initrd  = /boot/INITRD_IMAGE_NAME
 ramdisk = 8192

     Where KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME is the name of your LVM enabled kernel,
     and INITRD_IMAGE_NAME is the name of the initrd image created by
     lvmcreate_initrd. The ramdisk line may need to be increased if you
     have a large LVM configuration, but 8192 should suffice for most
     users. The default ramdisk size is 4096. If in doubt check the
     output from the lvmcreate_initrd command, the line that says:

lvmcreate_initrd -- making loopback file (6189 kB)

and make the ramdisk the size given in brackets.

Kernel panic: I have not root and I want to scream.

is there nothing about "trying to read beyond end of device "

No!

hm i suppose i have to find some documentation about grub
but i'll do in 9-10 hours ( my clock shouts 01:15 )

are you useing devfs
could you send me your initrd-lvm-2.4.7-10feb2002.gz

could you post your fstabs

My fstab file:

/dev/q3xvol/root         /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2    defaults        0 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0
0
/dev/hdb1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0