[linux-lvm] Re: Migrating root problems... (svetljo)

svetljo galia at st-peter.stw.uni-erlangen.de
Mon Mar 4 18:17:01 UTC 2002

>>>title Net Hat Linux (2.4.7-10) VLM Support
>>>        root (hd0,0)
>>>        kernel / boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10feb2002 mem=250M ramdisk=5038 ro
>>>root=/dev/q3xvol/ro
>>>        initrd / boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.7-10feb2002.gz
>>>
>>isn't it mentioned in the how-to smth about ramdisk ~8000
>>you can try to append at boot ramdisk_size=10000 or smth bigger
>>and option ramdisk seems to be depricated
>>

>Sorry, but I doesn't understand you....

snip from linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt

---------------
    raid=        [HW,RAID]

    ramdisk=    [RAM] Sizes of RAM disks in kilobytes [deprecated].

    ramdisk_blocksize=
            [RAM]

    ramdisk_size=    [RAM] New name for the ramdisk parameter.

and from the lvm how-to
http://www.sistina.com/lvm_howtos/lvm_howto/Converting_a_root_filesys.html

   1. Add an entry in /etc/lilo.conf for LVM

      This should look similar to the following:

  image   = /boot/KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME
  label   = lvm
  root    = /dev/vg/root
  initrd  = /boot/INITRD_IMAGE_NAME
  ramdisk = 8192

      Where KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME is the name of your LVM enabled kernel,
      and INITRD_IMAGE_NAME is the name of the initrd image created by
      lvmcreate_initrd. The ramdisk line may need to be increased if you
      have a large LVM configuration, but 8192 should suffice for most
      users. The default ramdisk size is 4096. If in doubt check the
      output from the lvmcreate_initrd command, the line that says:

lvmcreate_initrd -- making loopback file (6189 kB)

      and make the ramdisk the size given in brackets.

>>>Kernel panic: I have not root and I want to scream.
>>>
>>is there nothing about "trying to read beyond end of device "
>>

>No!

hm i suppose i have to find some documentation about grub
but i'll do in 9-10 hours ( my clock shouts 01:15 )

are you useing devfs
could you send me your initrd-lvm-2.4.7-10feb2002.gz