[linux-lvm] System Suggestions

Tim tim at connectlive.com
Wed Mar 6 17:00:03 UTC 2002

Whatever other people may say about RedHat, I have found that (with rare
and well-documented exceptions) their kernels (as kernel-2.x.x-source
and kernel-2.x.x-headers RPMs) accept patches fairly well (if not, I'm
comfortable doing it manually) and have been reliable in some extremely
high-load environments, when properly customized.  RH is most definitely
not perfect, but 7.2 is IMHO a perfectly serviceable starting point for
large systems.  I have used Debian, LinuxPPC, Solaris, AIX, FreeBSD,
etc. in the past and they all have their ups and downs, but my *nix
systems are either OpenBSD or RedHat these days, and the reason is
simply that I can get better support for them than anything else.

LVM on RH7.2 has worked well for me, but as I previously mentioned, the
support for LSI Logic boards is quite solid, and using hardware
enclosures eliminates an enormous number of potential problems.

--
     "To be suspended from the legal profession is the moral equivalent of
      being ostracized by child molesters."