[linux-lvm] System Suggestions

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 7 00:32:02 UTC 2002

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Anthony W. Marino wrote:

> > If you are looking into using the 3Ware controllers watch the following:
> > The 64xx controllers are underpowered and should better not be used in
> > raid 5 mode.
> > The 74xx controllers seem to be good and should be fine with raid5 but
> > note that raid5 will always have slow write speeds.
> >
> Is there a way to minimize the write penalty using both XFS and LVM with RAID
> 5?

Don't use raid5. I always use a combination of raid 1 and 10 for a
database server. If you have a database that frequently updates records
you don't want the extra write overhead.

Software raid 1 or 10 will do fine in that case.
If you have 4 disks you make 2 raid 1 arrays and then stripe those in a
raid 0. You then have optimum speed at the lowest possible overhead.

Generally that is what you want for a database server.

Cheers
Seth