[linux-lvm] help with redhat install

Tim tim at connectlive.com
Thu Mar 14 13:14:01 UTC 2002

I prefer to do things statically when possible, but I do recall that LVM
is NOT enabled in the default RH7.2 kernel.  You should upgrade to
2.4.19 or at least 2.4.9-31 (RedHat patched) anyways, for various
reasons.  Use the opportunity to compile in LVM while you're at it.  :-)

Quoth Vincent AE Scott:
> Ed Jackson(ej_external at bigfoot.com)@Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 11:03:47PM -0500:
> > I'm trying to install and use LVM on my redhat - but I'm having
> > difficulties getting started.
> >
> > I've tried to download and use the binaries at ftp.msede.com:
> >
> > ftp://linux.msede.com/lvm/binaries/redhat/base/lvm-base-1.1-1.i386.rpm
> > ftp://linux.msede.com/lvm/binaries/redhat/base/lvm-base-1.1-1.src.rpm
> >
> > and also all of the following files in:
> >
> > ftp://linux.msede.com//lvm/0.9.1_beta/binaries/redhat/
> >
> > lvm-iop10-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
> > lvm-iop10-lib-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
> > lvm-iop10-man-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
> > lvm-iop10-patchgen-0.9.1_beta7-1.i386.rpm
> >

> > When I install all of those RPMs with gnorpm, and try to run the wrapped
> > shell scripts for anything to do with LVM (like pvcreate) I get an error
> > message stating:
> >
> > -------------- sample message --------------
> > vgcreate
> > lvmiopversion -- LVM driver/module not loaded?
> >
> > vgcreate: /lib/lvm-iop not found.  Is lvm-iop installed?
>

> i'm unsure as to what it's trying to load a file from /lib, but i can
> only guess it's looking for the lvm kernel module.
>

> > And when I search the current filesystem for anything named *lvm-iop* I get
> > nothing.
> >
> > I have added the following to /etc/modules.conf
> >
> > alias block-major-58 lvm-mod
> > alias char-major-109 lvm-mod
> >

> > Since that didn't seem to work - I removed those RPMs and tried to download
> > the latest from ftp://ftp.sistina.com/pub/LVM/1.0/ and unpacked all
> > files.  When I follow the instructions in the lvm-howto doc.. I run
> > LVM/1.0.1-rc4/configure script, which seems to complete fine.
> >
> > I then cd into PATCHES and try to run 'make' and get the following error:
> >
> > -------------
> > make
> > You haven't applied the rawio patch, please see the README
> > make: *** [check_rawio] Error 1
> > ---------------
> >
> > The README file only discusses the raw_io patch if I'm using a 2.2
> > kernel.  But i'm currently using 2.4.9-31
> >

> > Can anyone please help me out with this?  I'd like to just use the RPMs if
> > possible - and the source code next if the RPMs don't work out.
> >

> i know that mandrake ship an LVM enabled kernel, but maybe redhat dont?
> i dont use redhat, so i cant say eaitehr way.  but if in doubt of such
> things, it's always worth compiling your own.  get a recent kernel
> source tree, and get the latest LVM 1.0.3 ( at present ).  IIRC when you
> run make in the patches directory, it checks to see what patches have
> already been applied to /usr/src/linux.  and then whatever's new and
> needs to be included get's built into a custom patch.  which you then
> apply to the source tree.
>
> oh, and make sure you enable the kernel option for LVM support when you
> recompile.
>
> i've had a few problems getting LVM to work, and on the whole, if i'd
> [...]

    "Make it ten... I am only a poor corrupt official."
                  --Capt. Louis Renault, _Casablanca_