Re: [linux-lvm] VG lost, VG restorable without lvmconf? Need help!

-- "dan.am" <lvm lonx net>

> Are your disks Maxtor ?

no and yes :)
hda is IBM (30 GB)
hdb is a Maxtor 61,4 GB / 5400
This probably has something to do with it. I have some Maxtor stuff too.

I am afraid that I have no current backups of these files if backups at all :-(
This is a problem. Hmmmm...Try recreating your vol group config by running
"vgcreate" and "lvcreate" from command line. Do not use yast , as this
will call "vgscan" again
Or maybe:
1. mv /sbin/vgscan /sbin/vgscan.BOGUS
2. YasT to recreate VG.
In any case work carefully, since you are in trouble

Also try "vgcfgrestore" , but   assume it is broken too, as it was in my
case

Remember thta LVM doesn't effect the data on your disk, just the LVM headers. If you remember the approx. sizes of things you may be able to bring the LV back on line long enough to back it up, blow off LVM, re-create the thing from scratcn, run the VG backups and restore the original data.

All you can do it play around with it until the volume mounts.

-- Steven Lembark 2930 W. Palmer Workhorse Computing Chicago, IL 60647 +1 800 762 1582