Re: [linux-lvm] Some suggestions about lvminitrd_create

Patrick Caulfield wrote:

On Thu, May 16, 2002 at 05:10:58PM +0200, Bas wrote:

Just a couple of suggestions firstly it would be nice if it checked
for /boot/System.map-'uname -r' rather than for just /boot/System.map.
When you have more than one kernel floating about this is handy.

Yep, that's what the "-F" option aims to support.

Second suggestion it would be nice if a -t option existed to allow a
choice in the type of filesystem the initrd is created in. Not everyone
is using ext2 these days :)

Well, why do you want to use a different filesystem on a relatively tiny
and little populated ram disk?

Because once you choose to use XFS, you don't need ext2 utils anymore, so
why would you want to install ext2utils ?

You really want to use XFS for an initrd??

<fx tests:>

# dd if=/dev/zero of=disk bs=1024 count=8192
# mkfs.xfs disk
# mount -oloop disk /mnt
# df /mnt
/root/disk                3392        32      3360   1% /mnt

OK you could tune that up a bit but I think ext2 is more approriate for an
initrd and the ext2 utils don't take up /that/ much space: probably much less
than your XFS journals in fact :-)

patrick

Hello,

I use "romfs" for the 'initrd" it take less place in the kernel than "ext2" (I use "reiserfs" for "normal" filesystems), the only problem is that "romfs" is a read only filesytem but you can use the "tmpfs" like this in your "linuxrc" script:

#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs none /etc
mount -t proc none /proc
echo "Scanning for Volume Group..."
/sbin/vgscan
echo "Activating 'root' Volume Group"
/sbin/vgchange -a y /dev/vgroot
umount /proc
umount /etc

I use the "nash" shell from redhat, it take few place and have builtin the mount/umount commands.

The LVM is compiled in the kernel and I have these files in my "initrd":

/bin/nash
/bin/sh -> nash
/lib/ld-linux.so.2
/lib/libc.so.6