[linux-lvm] Error on vgscan & lvremove

bo bo at sosnetwork.net
Thu May 23 22:14:01 UTC 2002

Heinz,

> A 'workaround' for non-devfs configurations is
>
> ls /dev/*/group | sed 's!/group!!' | xargs rm -r ; vgmknodes

??Something wrong on "sed 's!/group!!' ", it did not work.

> link the single executable statically by running
> "./configure --enable-static_link" (which doesn't use the shared libs).

It did not work. I rebuilt LINUX kernel & LVM after
"./configure --enable-static_link".
I got the same result.

Another big issues came as follow;

I tried to go back to LVM1.0.3, but getting a big trouble.

Q1:  Is it backward compatible from LVM1.1-rc2 to LVM1.0.3 or not?

        I already built the volume from LVM1.1-rc2 then I went back to
LVM1.0.3.
        All of LVM tools are not working as shown in the following console
output.

Q2: How could I remove this volume and rebuild? I do not care about the
data.

During boot or after the boot, I have the following errors;

[root at localhost /]# vgscan -f
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "volRaid0"
vgscan -- ERROR "lv_check_consistency(): LV status" volume group "volRaid0"
is inconsistent
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "volRaid0"
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): unlink" removing volume group
"volRaid0" from "/etc/lvmtab"
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "volRaid5"
vgscan -- ERROR "lv_check_consistency(): LV status" volume group "volRaid5"
is inconsistent
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "volRaid5"
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): unlink" removing volume group
"volRaid5" from "/etc/lvmtab"
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "volDisk"
vgscan -- ERROR "lv_check_consistency(): LV status" volume group "volDisk"
is inconsistent
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "volDisk"
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): unlink" removing volume group
"volDisk" from "/etc/lvmtab"
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "volDisk2"
vgscan -- ERROR "lv_check_consistency(): LV status" volume group "volDisk2"
is inconsistent
vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do a backup of volume group "volDisk2"
vgscan -- ERROR "lvm_tab_vg_remove(): unlink" removing volume group
"volDisk2" from "/etc/lvmtab"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
groups

[root at localhost /root]# ls /dev/*/group
ls: /dev/*/group: No such file or directory
[root at localhost /root]# vgmknodes
vgmknodes -- no volume groups found to create nodes for

Thanks for your help,

Bo