[linux-lvm] about lvextend

William Blunn bill+f.20020524 at tao-group.com
Wed May 29 03:06:02 UTC 2002

> I am puzzled about the function of lvextend.
> i know it's used to extend a logical volume,
> but in fact,i still need to use e2fsadm to increase the file system size to
> match.
> and e2fsadm can extend a logical volume too.
> so if i only use e2fsadm i can extend a logical volume,it's no useful to
> use lvextend.
> Is it right?

e2fsadm is just a wrapper for either:

  lvextend + ext2resize (increasing FS size)

or

  ext2resize + lvreduce (reducing FS size)

If all you want to do is to resize an ext2 filesystem, then there is no
need to invoke lvextend yourself; you can just use e2fsadm to do it for
you.

However e2fsadm only works with ext2 filesystems.

If you are using another filesystem (e.g. Reiserfs), then you would need
to invoke the LV resizing tool (lvextend or lvreduce) and the
filesystems resizing tool (e.g. resize_reiserfs) separately --- and in
the right order.

Bill
--
William H. Blunn - <bill+s.mq8r0gra at tao-group.com> - Developer Support