[linux-lvm] cant mount LV via partition/filesystem labels

Ben Snyder ben at jumpline.com
Thu Nov 7 09:21:02 UTC 2002

Here's what I've got:

RH7.2, kernel  2.4.9-34enterprise

1 physical volume each on /dev/sda9 and /dev/sdb1
one logical volume over these two PV's

I've labeled the filesystem via 'tune2fs' and want to use the label for
mounting purposes, as is the default with the other (non-LVM) filesystems

'vgscan' and 'vgchange -a y' have been performed
'vgdisplay' and 'lvdisplay' tell me all is well - everthing is
read/write and available
'fsck' on the physical path reports clean...

If I attempt to mount via the physical path to the LV, providing the
mount point, everything works fine

However, mount refuses to mount via filesystem/partition label,
regardless if I use '-L' and provide the label or use the mountpoint and
let mount figure it out on its own from /etc/fstab.  I get 'mount: no
such partition found' (it is in /etc/fstab correctly, already checked that).

Am I missing something about labels?  Maybe some other remedial
filesystem characteristics/operations that I've missed because of
cranius-up-rectus (head up a$$).

Thanks in advance for feedback/suggestions.