[linux-lvm] cant mount LV via partition/filesystem labels

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Thu Nov 7 11:57:01 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 09:20, Ben Snyder wrote:
> Here's what I've got:
>
> RH7.2, kernel  2.4.9-34enterprise
>
> 1 physical volume each on /dev/sda9 and /dev/sdb1
> one logical volume over these two PV's
>
> I've labeled the filesystem via 'tune2fs' and want to use the label for
> mounting purposes, as is the default with the other (non-LVM) filesystems
>
> 'vgscan' and 'vgchange -a y' have been performed
> 'vgdisplay' and 'lvdisplay' tell me all is well - everthing is
> read/write and available
> 'fsck' on the physical path reports clean...
>
> If I attempt to mount via the physical path to the LV, providing the
> mount point, everything works fine
>
> However, mount refuses to mount via filesystem/partition label,
> regardless if I use '-L' and provide the label or use the mountpoint and
> let mount figure it out on its own from /etc/fstab.  I get 'mount: no
> such partition found' (it is in /etc/fstab correctly, already checked that).
>
> Am I missing something about labels?  Maybe some other remedial
> filesystem characteristics/operations that I've missed because of
> cranius-up-rectus (head up a$$).

I'm the guy sent in the patch to add LVM label support to mount and
e2fsprogs.  I'm not sure RedHat 7.2 includes the proper version of those
tools at all.  I've had problems were built by RedHat.

The label stuff in mount and e2fsprogs reads /etc/partitions and
searches all entries in that file for labels.  It doesn't search
anything else.  LVM didn't (probably still doesn't) show up in etc
partitions so label support fails.  It should search in the /proc files
that have the LVM stuff to find them, and search for those.  That's what
I added to the code, but I haven't seen it work since I sent in the
patch.

It's not hard to modify the code, I didn't bother figuring out why the
redhat tools fails.  It wasn't terribly important to me.  If you want to
look at it I will.  If nothing else I can send you a patch that you can
use to rebuild your source RPM with.

	Thanks,
		Kirby

> Thanks in advance for feedback/suggestions.

Real Programmers view electronic multimedia files with a hex editor.