[linux-lvm] Max LV size

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Mon Nov 11 16:53:01 UTC 2002

On Monday, 11 November 2002, at 16:10:05 -0600,
Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

> vgdisplay -v tells me the max LV size is 255GB. So I figured I'd decrease
> the number of Max LV's (currently at 256) to 128, and then that would
> increase the size that each LV could be. But when I do a "vgchange -l 128
> blah", it just stops and says "segmentation fault".
>
> What gives? I really hope 255GB isn't a limit. Any ideas?

Yes, just read the documentation :-). From man vgcreate:

       -s, --physicalextentsize PhysicalExtentSize[kKmMgGtT]
              Sets  the  physical extent size on physical volumes
              of this volume group.  A size suffix (k  for  kilo
              bytes up to t for terabytes) is optional, megabytes
              is the default if no suffix is present.  Values can
              be  from  8 KB to 16 GB in powers of 2. The default
              of 4 MB causes maximum LV sizes of  ~256GB  because
              as  many  as  ~64k extents are supported per LV. In
              case larger maximum LV sizes  are  needed  (later),
              you  need  to  set the PE size to a larger value as
              well. Later changes of the PE size in  an  existing
              VG are not supported.

Hope it helps.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)