[linux-lvm] LVM ext3 and lvreduce

I have LVM working, and I have created all my logical volumes for my
environment.  All of my logical volumes have been mkfs.ext3'd.
Everything works, except for when I try to change the size with lvreduce
or lvextend.  These tools are happy to work, but when I remount my
logvols and type: mount I see that in fact the size that is reported to
the OS has not changed.

Is there any incompatabilities with LVM and Ext3?
Is there a comparable tool for ext3 like e2fsadm?
Is it possible to resize an ext3 partition while it is online?