Re: [linux-lvm] LE/PE Question

-- "Heinz J . Mauelshagen" <mauelshagen sistina com>

On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 09:50:39PM +0100, kalle idlar nu wrote:
Hi!

Im researching some diffrent what-if-scenarios to be more prepared if
our lvm fails. and I'm wondering..Is there any utility to find which
file (or fs inode) a specific LE/PE is assigned to?

# lvdisplay -v /dev/YourVG/YourLV # displays mapping logical -> physical # extents lvdisplay -v /dev/YourPV # displays mapping physical -> logical # extents

  What I would like to acomplish it to be able to know what files are
  located on a specific disk in a

VG/LV. So if I detect that a disk in a LV is starting to fail I would
like to know which files are more

likely to be non-recoverable.

You need to 'ask' the filesystem, where it puts stuff ;) I.e. "debugfs /dev/YourVG/YourLV" for ext[23].

The unit of failure, for all pratical purposes, is the LV (unless you are into using dd on raw disk devices to make your backups). If one drive is likely to fail then any LV crossing that LV is going to get fried (short of RAID) and will have to be restored.

                                           +1 800 762 1582