[linux-lvm] RAID+LVM

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez linux-lvm at 24x7linux.com
Sun Nov 24 18:30:02 UTC 2002

On Sunday, 24 November 2002, at 07:57:31 -0500,
David Corbin wrote:

> I have a debian system with LVM on top of a RAID.  Once up and running,
> it seems to work OK.  It's the getting it up and running that's a
> problem.  At boot, the raid drive is started, and then
>
>                /sbin/vgscan --verbose >/root/vg.start
>                /sbin/vgchange -a y --verbose >>/root/vg.start
>
> Now, after the system finishes booting, if login as root and run those
> two commands again, I get.

I suppose your problem is the boot scritps trying to initialize LVM and
software RAID in the wrong order (at least for your setup). To make a
LVM on top of software RAID work, you first need to activate software
RAID and then LVM.

Maybe in the boot sequence LVM is initialized first, and it fails. Then
it activates software RAID, which succeedes. After system startup you
just need to "vgchange -ay", and everything works ok.

Check /etc/rc2.d (runlevel 2 is typical for Debian), and see if
rearranging boot scripts helps.

Regards,

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Woody (Linux 2.4.19-pre6aa1)