[linux-lvm] Accessing LVM partitions from a rescue system

Pantaleimon pantaleimon at home.no
Mon Nov 25 03:06:02 UTC 2002

On Monday 25 November 2002 01:39, Anders Widman wrote:
> Looks  like  something  is wrong with accessing all of your disks from
> the rescue floppy.. look at the pvscan:
>
> From rescue environment:
>    pvscan -- total: 20 [201.08 GB}
>
> Normal boot:
>    pvscan -- total: 21 [211.14 GB]
>
> You  need  to  sort  out what disks/partitions that are not accessible
> from  the  rescue  disks...  You can also try ungrading LVM as 1.01 is
> quite old...
>
> - Anders

It looks like it is the hda16 partition that accounts for that difference.
It's about 10G. Look at the lvmdiskscan listing in my normal envirnonment:

[...]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda14 [      10.00 GB] Extended LVM partition [0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda15 [      10.00 GB] Extended LVM partition [0x8E]
lvmdiskscan -- /dev/hda16 [      10.06 GB] USED LVM whole disk

Why does the line for hda16 say "USED LVM whole disk" and not "Extended LVM
partition [0x8E]" like the others?