Re: [linux-lvm] LVM for a Database

What type of database?

Joseph Kezar wrote:

We are in the process of building a database on a 4 processor 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM Dell 6650.
I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to use LVM for our raw data storage. We have a RAID array with 8x36GB drives in it. Should I do a raid 1+0(mirror 4 disks, and span them to get one logical volume)?

I've never worked with an Oracle DBA that would favor this. "Spindles, spindles, spindles" they cry. Now, I realize that you're going to have 8 spindles no matter what.

If so this leaves me a /dev/sdb. Or would I get better performance if I mirror 1 + 5, 2 + 6, 3 + 7, 4+ 8 to give me /dev/sd[b-e].

If you have to do RAID for everything, then this would probably be most favored (easiest to optimize), but I know several DBAs that would prefer to use 8 independent disks, along with a good backup plan and "Oracle journal logs" for recovery. Of course, I'd probably do the RAID thing because I'm not a DBA :)

David Corbin