[linux-lvm] Upgrade Linux 2.2 to 2.4 problems

I'm still having difficulty getting LVM to behave itself on a 2.4 kernel when it
works fine on a 2.2 kernel. I'm using beta7 on both kernels - the 2.4 kernel
is 2.4.10.ac4 which seems to have version beta7(ish) in it. I'm booting through
initrd as /root is on LVM.

vgscan appears to work ok but vgchange fails with:

Error- can't get names of physical volumes - please check if /proc is mounted.

Well, /proc is mounted - in fact if it isn't mounted I don't this error.

What does this error message mean and what's likely to be wrong to cause it?

Many thanks

Dick