[linux-lvm] Upgrade Linux 2.2 to 2.4 problems

Dick Middleton dick at lingbrae.com
Wed Oct 2 07:01:01 UTC 2002

  Heinz,

>this can't be the exact LVM 0.9-Beta7 error message.

It sure is (except error is written ERROR and the message is on 2 lines
:-) )

>Is /proc really mounted, *before* vgchange runs in /linuxrc?

Hmm - I'm not sure how I can tell.  The mount command certainly comes first
and there are no visible error messages.  I'm just using
lvmcreate_initrd. If the
mount command fails then it gives an error message and vgchange gives me
different error messages so I assume it's working.

>BTW: why do you use such an old kernel and LVM version?
>     Please give a recent one and LVM 1.0.5 a try.

That's what I was trying to do (for a while)  until I discovered this
kernel only has beta7 in it.

Curiously I had more success with 1.0.5 tools on this kernel.

I think I'll take your advice and start again.

Many thanks for your support.

Dick