[linux-lvm] question about LVM kernel module - mirroring

Hi everybody, I am new to the list and hope you will excuse my (perhaps) silly questions.

1) I have seen in the LVM documentation that the program is divided into:

  - A kernel module
  - a set o binaries (commands etc.)

I´d like to know whether it is possible to use LVM WITHOUT a kernel module. I mean a deamon process. I´m asking that because sometimes I am not allowed to recompile the kernel on production machines.

2) How can I perform mirroring using LVM? I know the kernel can do that on local disks. Is it possible for the kernel of two clustered machines to mirror two disks on an external storage?
I am working on a HA cluster.

Thanks for your attention

Luca Lavorante