[linux-lvm] lvm2 support in kernel - regular lvm on disks

hi,

have searched through the archives at sistina.com as well as google, but yet to no avail.

does anybody know if it is possible to boot a LVM2 enabled kernel (say the latest 2.5.42-ac1) and use that with a machine with regular LVM (1.0.5) created volumes? also, if i install the lvm2 tool for debian, they are conflicting with my lvm1 tools, so are the new tools backwards compatible?

thank you very much in advace - please do cc me on any answers,
peter