[linux-lvm] lvm -- lvm_chr_ioctl: unknown command 0x8004fe97

Patrick Caulfield caulfield at sistina.com
Tue Oct 22 06:45:01 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:34:04PM +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:
> Patrick Caulfield wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > You really don't want to do that... 1.1 is well broken.
>
> uhoh, i'm already doing it, not production yet, but soon.
> I figured that the latest from oktober 3, 1.1-rc2 would be
> good enough.
>

> > > and removing those debian packages.
> >
> > The Debian packages should be fine. Plenty of other people are using them.
> >
> > Can you tell which command is issued the illegal ioctl ? It could be that the
> > LVM device has a wrong major/minor or something else has take the LVM
> > major/minor device number, because those are /not/ LVM ioctl numbers.
>
> More than one. vgchange -a y <VG>
> lvremove (snapshopts)

It does sound a lot like an "odd" lvm toolset (or perhaps library) that's
interfering. It's worth checking whicg vgchange (etc) command is being run (ie
is there one in /usr/local or /usr/sbin that's earlier in the PATH than the
"real" one. Also do "ldd" in the library to see which library is being picked
up.

patrick