[linux-lvm] lilo wrote to an lvm disk

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Wed Apr 2 01:26:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 09:13:45PM -0600, Justin Bauer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was having trouble earlier with lilo, and while configuring it, I
>wrote it to the mbr on a disk I had lvm on.  The only place I found that
>mentioned this problem was in an email to this list in march 2001, over
>two years ago.  It basically said that the lvm disk would be hosed.  Is
>there anyway to get the data off the disk? or repair it?

if you have a recent metadata backup you can try using vgcfgrestore to
put the metadata back on the disk.

other options depend on what was the disk layout:
was it the only disk you had in the volume group?
are there lv sharing more than one pv?
do you recall the LV layout?

>Also, in the future, could I use the mbr if the pv was a partition
>rather than the whole disk?

that would be a good idea.
as much as i hate partition tables i found that just too much code in
linux applications depend on having a partition table, so wasting
512bytes for a partition table entry is easier than fixing everything
that breaks.

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.