[linux-lvm] Swap on LVM - swapoff problem - more info

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Wed Apr 9 06:38:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:41:51PM +0300, George Karaolides wrote:
> The problem is caused by running vgscan while swap is active on the LVM
> device (not necessarily actually using swap space; just active).

> I modified the "start" case of the lvm init script to run swapoff before
> running vgscan, and swapon after.

If you really want to experiment with swap on an LVM volume (why?) you
should resequence your startup so that vgscan gets run *after* /etc
is mounted but *before* setting up swap.

It's rather late running vgscan after you've *already* started up LVM.
vgscan should be run to detect LVM-related disk configuration changes
*before* using LVM proper.

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com