Re: [linux-lvm] lvm/devfs bug?

rich turner wrote:

does anyone recognize this as a bug within lvm?

there clearly is not a partition on sda (according to /proc/partitions)
but pvcreate thinks there is one. if pvcreate examines only
/proc/partitions for disk partitions and there is not a partition on a
disk then why does pvcreate fail? i may not understand all of the
underlying behavior of pvcreate but it appears to be failing when it
shouldnt. is this a bug?

If I remember your original message properly, the error you got from pvcreate was that the disk "contained a partition table". This is _not_ the same thing as the disk containing one or more partitions; there can very well be an empty partition table on the disk. This may not be the problem, but if it is, using

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda count=20

will wipe out any existing DOS-type partition table (or any other type of table that resides at the beginning of the disk). If you've already tried this, then I'd say there is definitely a bug happening.