[linux-lvm] Strange hard drive behaviour

vegh at omega.telia.net vegh at omega.telia.net
Mon Apr 14 09:44:01 UTC 2003

I dont think it is hardware failure. These are brand new servers, and I
got the same behaviour on all of them I installed. It is not a clicking
noise, rather a very fast "crackling" noise. We are using RAID1, so the
different speeds of the drives can be a problem. On the same machine I
tried to create a file system and copy data with an without LVM. I got the
noise only when I use LVM. I suspect stripping over the same disk could
casue something like this, but I have one PV per physical disk, and dont
specify the -i and -I option when I do lvcreate. I will do some further
tests.

Thanks for your time,
Norbert Vegh