[linux-lvm] performance tests

Roberto Ammendola roberto.ammendola at roma2.infn.it
Wed Apr 23 11:51:01 UTC 2003

Hi list,
I would like to hear some opinions about a configuration: I have a dual
Xeon with 2 RAID5 HW controllers, so that from the OS side I have two
SCSI disks. I am trying different configurations to see which one has
the best performances. The machine will be a file server for a bunch of
people.
The question is: would you use LVM over a SW-RAID0 between the two SCSI
disks? Is native LVM striping that better (in terms of performance I mean)?
Let me know, I'll run bonnie++ meanwhile, but I don't know if it
highlights the differences: I should simulate a multiuser stress of the
disks. Any advice?

ciao rob

      Roberto Ammendola    INFN - Roma II - APE group
 tel: +39-0672594504  email: roberto.ammendola at roma2.infn.it   // \
      ICQ: 152497874    MSN: ammendola_ro at hotmail.com          \\_/ //