[linux-lvm] LVM sharing questions

I have two questions regarding the sharing of LVM volumes in Linux.  I have read the text in the LVM Howto.

Suppose I have two sets of volume groups.  One set belongs to node A.  The other set belongs to node B.  I plan to use "vgchange -ay vgname" to bring up the volume groups during boot.  Each node only brings up the volume groups that belong to it.  That is why I specify the volume-group name to vgchange.

My questions concern vgscan.

1.  Suppose I only plan to run vgscan during boot.  Later, if I make changes to the LVM metadata for volume groups that belong to node A, I do not plan to inform node B (I do not run vgscan on node B after the changes are made).  So, node B will not have uptodate information on the volume groups that belong to node A, but those groups are not available to node B anyway (they have never been made available to node B by running vgchange on node B).  In this way, I do not need to shutdown node B for changes that only affect node A.  Will this work?
2.  Suppose I do run vgscan on node B after changes to the LVM metdata are made on node A.  Can I do this without following the sequence in the LVM Howto (first issue "vgchange -an" on node B, then make the changes on node A, then run vgscan on node B)?  I am hoping that I do not need to issue "vgchange -an" on node B because I am not making changes to volume groups that are available to node B.

Best regards,

John S. Hoch
Rasilient Systems