[linux-lvm] EXT3 vs Reiserfs

Ajay Shekhawat ajay at cedar.Buffalo.EDU
Mon Dec 8 13:56:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 04:25:47AM +0100, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> why is that? thought reiser was faster than ext3 while ext3 would be
> considered more stable (in general).

Reiser has this "tail packing" option, as well as some other optimizations
that benefit sites with lots of small files (best example: Usenet feeds).
However, this can come at a price for really LARGE files (as a DB would need).

> Before getting ways off topic: where can I find a good comparison /
> discussion on different filesystems?

Checkout
	http://oregonstate.edu/~kveton/fs/

Since noone has mentioned XFS, let me throw in my recommendation for XFS.
XFS (like, probably, IBM's JFS) is a top-notch filesystem.
Try it out in your scenario, you might like it.

Ajay