Re: [linux-lvm] Is there a maximum for LV?

On Tuesday, 09 December 2003, at 09:29:05 -0500,
Yanick Quirion wrote:

> On the past I was using lvm 1.1rc2. For an unknown reason, the version is not anymore available.
> But with this version, when I do a "vgdisplay" I was able to saw the LV Max Size:
> How I'm testing LVM2. The field "MAX LV Size" is not there anymore. Is this means that LV doesn't have a maximum?
>From vgcreate(8):
-s, --physicalextentsize PhysicalExtentSize[kKmMgGtT]
       Sets the physical extent size on physical volumes of this volume
       group.  A size suffix (k for kilobytes up to t for terabytes) is
       optional, megabytes is the default  if  no  suffix  is  present.
       Values  can be from 8 KB to 16 GB in powers of 2. The default of
       4 MB causes maximum LV sizes of ~256GB because as many  as  ~64k
       extents  are  supported  per LV. In case larger maximum LV sizes
       are needed (later), you need to set the  PE  size  to  a  larger
       value  as  well.  Later changes of the PE size in an existing VG
       are not supported.

So it seems you have a 255 GiB limit on LV sizes with your LVM2 setup. This
same limitation is what applies to LVM2 Logical Volumes, and the math is
simple to do.

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0-test10-mm1)