[linux-lvm] Sharing LVM's via NFS on Redhat 8.0

DJ TweeQ djtweeq at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 20 13:44:02 UTC 2003

Phone rings and i forget to complete my previous post :)

Regarding Sharing LVM LV's via NFS on Redhat 8.0...ie. mounting an LV from
another machine while already having a LV on the same machine. Is it ok or
not ok? I was talking to a buddy and he doesn't think it's a problem or an
issue but...

the current documentation on Sistina's site states that sharing LV's is
dangerous unless it's a SCSI or Fibre Storage Device?...and not only that
...adminisitration can only be done on one node? (is it really possible to
create/resize lv's from one node/machine to another (that has an LV or was
it meant to mean that it's only possible on cluster aware network storage
devices)??? ....

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/x1232.html
under "Dangerous Operations - Sharing Logical LVM Volumes"

ie.

>If you need to do any changes to the LVM metadata (regardless of >whether
>it affects volumes mounted on other nodes) you must go through >the
>following sequence. In the steps below ``admin node'' is any >arbirarily
>chosen node in the cluster. Admin node                   >Other nodes
>----------                   -----------
>                             Close all Logical volumes (umount)
>                             vgchange -an
><make changes, eg lvextend>
>                             vgscan
>                             vgchange -ay

I'm thinking that it might not be a good idea to try to do maintenance on a
LV that is mounted on another system...but i think it makes a whole heck of
alot of sense to create/resize/mount an LV on a system before trying to
mount it via an NFS share. :)

Any comments? I personally don't think it would be an issue either (to mount
an LV on another box/system via an NFS mount) but i'd rather not take the
chance of messing up any of the data on those LV's cuz their stuffed :)

Oh one other thing...if it has been proven that a Redhat 8.0 2.4-24?.x
kernel can be patched to LVM 1.0.6+ ....will the data on those LV's be
affected in any way or will it all be ok? :)