[linux-lvm] "umount" LVM stuff

David Corbin dcorbin at machturtle.com
Mon Feb 24 06:01:01 UTC 2003

Goetz Bock wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 24 '03 at 02:15, Goetz Bock wrote:
>

>>>Attempts to access the logical volume I used to fail.
>>>

>>You have disabled it, it's gone.
>>

>Don't panik :->
>
>your LVM will reappear, once you enable it again (vgchange -a y)
>still, read some docs.

I have read some docs.  I've spent hours combing the Net for the
answers, without success.

I *had* a working system.  But, I use the LVM commands so rarely, I can
never repeat what I did (notes or not).

piano:/home/dcorbin# sh -x /etc/init.d/lvm start
+ modprobe lvm
+ modprobe lvm-mod
+ '[' -e /proc/lvm ']'
+ '[' -e /etc/lvmtab ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/vgscan ']'
+ echo 'Setting up LVM Volume Groups...'
Setting up LVM Volume Groups...
+ /sbin/vgscan --verbose
+ /sbin/vgchange -a y --verbose

piano:/home/dcorbin# mount /data
mount: special device /dev/vg0/data does not exist

The reason you hear "panic" in my typing is the last line. :)
----
Fundamentally, I'm building a critical data file server.  LVM has caused
me enough problems and delays, that I'm about ready to bypass it, saying
it is putting my data at risk.  Feel free to convince me otherwise.

Thanks
David