[linux-lvm] disk naming

Matt Schillinger mschilli at vss.fsi.com
Wed Jan 8 10:28:02 UTC 2003

I have another scenario... If I have 1 volume setup
(/dev/test_vg/testlv1) and mounted on say, /mnt.

The disk is connected via scsi host channel 0, scsi id 4, and lun 0.

If i umount /mnt,
move the scsi disk to host channel 1,

Then run rescan-scsi-bus.sh 1, it should scan the scsi bus on host
channel 1, then find the scsi disk.

is there a way to make lvm see the new disk in a way that is mountable?

I have done the previous, but i see in /proc/lvm/global, that each VG is
associated with PV devices (/dev/sda1, etc). Is there a way that lvm can
rescan and reassociate VGs to new PV devices? (as in the disk on the
host channel 1 is added in as /dev/sdd).. If i reboot, this is no
problem to register things, but I am wonder if it is possible to do the
task without a reboot..

Thanks,

Matt Schillinger
mschilli at vss.fsi.com