[linux-lvm] problem

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Wed Jan 8 15:45:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:33:11PM -0600, Daniel Wittenberg wrote:
> Other ideas?

Install the LVM2 utilities and perform the task with them?

"vgreduce --removemissing rootvg" will do exactly what you
want - but I haven't released it yet because I haven't finished
testing it with snapshots present etc.

For now, you run LVM2's vgcfgbackup (with -P), edit the
text file by hand to remove the PV and LV (easy to do), then
run vgcfgrestore to put the fixed metadata in the text file
back onto disk.

Then if you don't want to upgrade to LVM2 yet, you can
simply revert to using the LVM1 tools again, starting
by running LVM1's vgscan.

In circumstances like this, you don't need to change your
kernel in order to use the LVM2 tools. You can just set
"activation = 0" in the lvm.conf file and then they'll
only manipulate on-disk metadata and they won't try to
talk to device-mapper (the new kernel driver that LVM2 uses).

Alasdair