[linux-lvm] Volume Group with 4 HDs- one crashed

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Fri Jan 10 08:12:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 02:38:35PM +0100, nik-da-3'9'' wrote:
> >   2 logical volume(s) in volume group "mpeg" now active
So did that not activate 2 of the logical volumes?

You have to add '-P' to *every* tool that you want to attempt
to use volume groups that are Partially missing.
(But tools only support the flag where it makes sense to.)

>   Found volume group "data" using metadata type lvm1
So it found that OK.

> I also remove the devnodes left by LVM 1 (/dev/mpeg/mp3 /dev/mpeg/mpvie),
> but still I cant access the VG's.
Recent LVM2 tarballs deal OK with any nodes left behind like that.
What version are you using?

> What to do next? Any help is really appreciated, as there is still lots of
> important data on the VGs.

Read the -P section of 'man lvm' for extra hints on recovery: depends
if you're able to replace the disk with another, or if you want to
remove the disk from the VG completely.

See also the thread a few days back:
  Re: [linux-lvm] problem

Alasdair