[linux-lvm] [Q] LVM snapshot volume extendable?

Greg Freemyer freemyer at NorcrossGroup.com
Mon Jan 13 15:47:01 UTC 2003

I agree, their seems to be a bug in LVM.

I am running XFS Version 1.2pre3 based on the 2.4.19 kernel and I cannot extend a LV with XFS fs on top.

In particular this works:

xfs_freeze -f /data                                                  (I don't have the patch installed)
lvcreate --snapshot -L 100M --name data_snap /dev/VG/data
xfs_freeze -u /data                                                 (I don't have the patch installed)
mount -t xfs -o ro,nouuid /dev/VG/data_snap /data_snap
<<<

And this does not.

xfs_freeze -f /data                                                  (I don't have the patch installed)
lvcreate --snapshot -L 100M --name data_snap /dev/VG/data
xfs_freeze -u /data                                                 (I don't have the patch installed)

lvdisplay /dev/VG/data_snap                                   (verified 0% used)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/data/dummy bs=1M count=75     (create a 75 Meg dummy file)
lvdisplay /dev/VG/data_snap                                   (verified approx 75% used)
lvextend -L +100M /dev/VG/data_snap
lvdisplay /dev/VG/data_snap                                   (verified approx 37% used)

#  Everything looks fine, so I try to mount it

mount -t xfs -o ro,nouuid /dev/VG/data_snap /data_snap
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/TruStore-Data/data_snap,
       or too many mounted file systems
<<<

Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group