Re: [linux-lvm] LVM bug

-- Rich Turner <rich storix com>

The following is a situation where LVM fails.

Previously, I installed a system and created a physical volume on an
entire disk. I am now re-installing the system and have created a
physical volume on a partition on the same disk. The partition was
created with sfdisk. I am able to create volume groups and logical
volumes with no problem.

The problem arises after a reboot of the system. vgscan fails to find
any volume groups. pvscan finds physical volumes on both the disk and
the partition. It appears LVM fails when creating a physical volume on a
partition of a disk when there was previously a physical volume on the
same entire disk.

Using LVM 1.0.1

(1) 1.0.1 is pretty badly out of date; suggest updating to 1.0.6 or 2.X.

(2) Running pvcreate on a full device (e.g., /dev/hda) then
   again on /dev/hdaX will end up overwriting a portion of
   the contents in your first PV with the second one. LVM
   did exactly what you wanted it to. How is the a bug.

                                           +1 773 252 1080