[linux-lvm] LVM bug

rich turner rich at storix.com
Wed Jan 15 12:20:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-01-14 at 17:38, Steven Lembark wrote:

> -- Rich Turner <rich at storix.com>
>
> > The following is a situation where LVM fails.
> >
> > Previously, I installed a system and created a physical volume on an
> > entire disk. I am now re-installing the system and have created a
> > physical volume on a partition on the same disk. The partition was
> > created with sfdisk. I am able to create volume groups and logical
> > volumes with no problem.
> >
> > The problem arises after a reboot of the system. vgscan fails to find
> > any volume groups. pvscan finds physical volumes on both the disk and
> > the partition. It appears LVM fails when creating a physical volume on a
> > partition of a disk when there was previously a physical volume on the
> > same entire disk.
> >
> > Using LVM 1.0.1
>
> (1) 1.0.1 is pretty badly out of date; suggest updating to
>     1.0.6 or 2.X.

I will upgrade to 1.0.6 and see if there are any changes

> (2) Running pvcreate on a full device (e.g., /dev/hda) then
>     again on /dev/hdaX will end up overwriting a portion of
>     the contents in your first PV with the second one. LVM
>     did exactly what you wanted it to. How is the a bug.

LVM did not do what I wanted, it failed. On a new install it still see's
a full device physical volume from a previous install. My new install
has only one physical volume on a partition. It fails because vgscan can
not find any volume groups because pvscan is looking for the now
non-existent physical volume on the entire disk.