Re: [linux-lvm] Unable to mount root fs after kernel upgrade

I'm not really sure of why this problem occurs but I've been able to solve it in the past doing a rdev on the linux kernel image to indicate that the root fs is /dev/vg00/root. man rdev should help you finding the accurate syntax. By the way I thought the problem was due to grub (since I'm using grub instead of lilo), but it seems that's not the reason.

Fred.

Fred do I understand you correct that this is a lilo issue ?
Lilo is not using the option "root=/dev/vg00/root" when booting ?

To be honest I'm not really sure of the real source of this problem.
I would rather say that it's related to the way the parameter /dev/vg00/root is passed to the kernel. Indeed /dev/vg00/root must be translated into a (major,minor) number before be usable by the kernel.
This should be done at the time you ran lilo. With grub the problem is a little bit different since you can change all the parameters at boot time. But I'm pretty sure it is not due to lilo, since I had the same problem using grub instead.

However, each time I've been able to solve the problem by rebooting on a previous working kernel (lvm enabled), and writing the root fs inside the new kernel image using rdev.

BTW, have you been able to boot your new kernel ?

Frederic