[linux-lvm] Unable to mount root fs after kernel upgrade

Frederic Tronel Frederic.Tronel at inrialpes.fr
Fri Jan 17 05:57:02 UTC 2003

>>I'm not really sure of why this problem occurs but I've been able to
>>solve it in the past doing a rdev on the linux kernel image to
>>indicate that the root fs is /dev/vg00/root. man rdev should
>>help you finding the
>>accurate syntax. By the way I thought the problem was due to
>>grub (since I'm using grub instead of lilo), but it seems
>>that's not the reason.
>>
>>Fred.
>

> Fred do I understand you correct that this is a lilo issue ?
> Lilo is not using the option "root=/dev/vg00/root" when booting ?

To be honest I'm not really sure of the real source of this problem.
I would rather say that it's related to the way the parameter
/dev/vg00/root is passed to the kernel. Indeed /dev/vg00/root must be
translated into a (major,minor) number before be usable by the kernel.
This should be done at the time you ran lilo. With grub the problem is a
little bit different since you can change all the parameters at boot
time. But I'm pretty sure it is not due to lilo, since I had the same
problem using grub instead.

However, each time I've been able to solve the problem by rebooting on a
previous working kernel (lvm enabled), and writing the root fs inside
the new kernel image using rdev.

BTW, have you been able to boot your new kernel ?

Frederic