[linux-lvm] cannot extend lv

idsfa at visi.com idsfa at visi.com
Sat Jan 18 10:57:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 11:35:28AM +0000,
Rainer.Lay at informatik.uni-erlangen.de wrote:

> I have a vg (data) with four drives /dev/sd[b-e]1
> I created a 2 stripes lv (data1) with sd[bc]1
                ^^^^^^^

You cannot extend striped lvs onto new pvs. Even on the
same physical hardware.  Once you have striped it, you are
tied to the pvs used.

If you think about it, this makes sense, as otherwise you
have some stripes containing more data than others.  In fact,
as soon as the smallest pv is full, you will not be able to
extend the lv, even if there is room in the other pvs.

If you want to have the filesystem striped over all the disks, you
will need to create a new lv which is striped across them all,
transfer the data to it, delete the old lv and then extend the
new one.

Backups highly recommended.

Michael

--
Think Locally, Act Globally:
"It's cold in here ... I'd better release a few million tons of CFCs!"