Re: [linux-lvm] Kernel PANIC after partition change on RedHat 8.0

-- Yuliy Minchev <yuliy mobiltel bg>

On Sat, 18 Jan 2003, Steven Lembark wrote:

> I have installed Red Hat Linux 8.0. I've made volume group (rootvg) > from /dev/md1 (which is raid1). I've put my /boot on /dev/md0. > > As you already have noticed - I have two disks. > After installation I'm making new partiotion /dev/sdb5 i.e. > And if I change its to type to 8e after reboot kernel panics. > If I change type of this partition to something different - the system > boots fine. > > I cannot understand where can be the problem. > I have to say that I made the same configuration on this machine and > everything was ok. But now I cannot see any difference.

sdb5 => sub-partition. Are you accidentally carving out
a piece of an existing PV? For example, if you had partitioned
the disk into /dev/sdb[1234] when it was built with sdb4 taking
up most of the device as 8e (i.e., for LVM), then adding sdb5
w/in the area of sdb4 would certianly break things -- and scramble
your LV's during pvcreate on the new partition.

I have

/dev/sdb1 /boot (member of md0,raid1)
/dev/sdb1 member of md1, raid1, on md1 is my volume group
/dev/sdb3 fat32
/dev/sbd4 extend partion
/dev/sdb5 is defined as 8e within sdb4

Sorry, but I did not understand your point :(

One thing people have zapped themselves with in the past is something like:

/dev/sdb4 == one partition
/dev/sdb5 == another partition whose space is
            contained w/in /dev/sdb4

	pvcreate -ff /dev/sdb4;
	vgcreate vg00 /dev/sdb4;
	lvcretate ... vg00;

<later in time>

	pvcreate -ff /dev/sdb5;
	vgcreate vg01 /dev/sdb5;
	lvcreate ... vg01;

at this point the creation of vg01 has overwritten
data in vg00 becuase the partition /dev/sda5 uses
disk realestate contained within /dev/sda4. This is
a matter purely caused by having moultiple partitions
w/in the same spindle.

That is why I wondered if you had made the mistake
of creating a partition w/in an already-existing
partition which was used as a PV at the time when
your new partition was created and used.

                                           +1 773 252 1080