[linux-lvm] RE:Unable to mount root fs after kernel upgrade

Jan H. van Gils janvg at vgnet.nl
Mon Jan 20 04:03:01 UTC 2003

Fred,

Here some info after I changed the kernel image with rdev.

>> Part off the Original message
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-686
>         label=Linux-2.4.20
>         read-only
>         root=/dev/vg00/root
>         initrd=/boot/initrd-lvm-2.4.20-686.gz
>         append="ramdisk_size=8192"
>

>> Now when I reboot the system and try to boot the new kernel
>I get the
>> following message : Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> 3a:00
>>

>I'm not really sure of why this problem occurs but I've been able to
>solve it in the past doing a rdev on the linux kernel image to
>indicate that the root fs is /dev/vg00/root. man rdev should
>help you finding the
>accurate syntax. By the way I thought the problem was due to
>grub (since I'm using grub instead of lilo), but it seems
>that's not the reason.
>
>Fred.

I tryed to boot the system after I changed the root using rdev
but this didn't change the behavior.
I also tryed at the boot prompt <image> root=/dev/vg00/root

But I found an other error in de console log when trying to boot the
new kernel :

Here it is:
cramfs: wrong magic
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:00

Maybe the error message about cramfs can give me some information to solve
the problem.

Greetz Jan

--
With regards Jan H. van Gils