[linux-lvm] LVM Root

tlove at serviceweb.net tlove at serviceweb.net
Mon Jan 20 19:51:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,
I've been trying to create an LVM root on my system, and have followed the
various how-to.  I have been successful so far creating my kernel with initrd
and LVM (version 2) support, and my initrd image.
I have two partitions on the drive - a 20MB boot partition with the kernel and
grub on it - and the second containing my LVM FS.
grub.conf (menu.lst):

title= initrd test
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=FE02 ramdisk 8192
initrd /inird.gz

when I boot I get:
<runs vgscan and vgchange -ay successfully (finds LVs)> then...
device-mapper: unknown block ioctl 0x5310
reiserfs: checking trasaction log (device fe:02) ...
Warning, log replay starting on readonly filesystem
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
VFS: Mounted root reiserfs filesystem) readonly
Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed
Unmounting old root
Trying to free ramdisk memory ... okay
mount_dev_fs(): unable to mount devfs, err: -2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 120k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Any help would be much appreciated!
--Ted