[linux-lvm] vgscan fails after more or less successful pvmove

MrNatcho mrnatcho at gmx.net
Wed Jan 22 16:11:01 UTC 2003

Hi all,

I am having problems to access my LV after trying to move data off two PV's. Here's what I did before the
error occured:

1. I freed up enough space and resize'd the ReiserFS partition
2. I reduced the LV using lvreduce, leaving approx. 100GB free space in the VG
3. I tried to free up a 80GB Disk in the VG using "pvmove /dev/hdc1" - this one failed after a dozen or so
PE's giving an error message I unfortunately didn't put down
4. I tried to free up a 60GB Disk using the same command...to no avail - error after 20 or 30 PE's
5. I tried different parameters for pvmove: -i didn't help, addressing the PE's to be moved directly fails
every few PE's. Putting in a destination device with enough free space didn't do any good, too. Finally, I
managed to free up a whole device by addressing the LE's to be moved away from the device.
6. The PV then showed 0 allocated PE's, so I tried to remove the PV using vgreduce. That one failed
saying that the device wasn't empty. At that point, I was totally confused and tried to find the cause using
the display commands to see if I missed any vital information. At one point, I started vgscan to see that
brings any more information. the output is as follows:

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found active volume group "ftpdata_vg"
vgscan -- only found 30458 of 29947 LEs for LV /dev/evil_vg/lvol1 (0)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get data of volume group
"evil_vg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume groups