[linux-lvm] vgscan fails after more or less successful pvmove

Heinz J . Mauelshagen mauelshagen at sistina.com
Thu Jan 23 05:37:01 UTC 2003

Stefan,

you say that you didn't put the error down pvmove displayed in the first place.

No chance for us to tell you the reason of the failure that way, sorry.
Could be a hardware flaw or a pvmove bug. I don't know.

You continued to change your LVM config _after_ that first failure happened,
which is bad.

That was 'Full stop. Ask first'-time.

At that point you still had the chance to restore your metadata backup
to unfail your VG.

After so many changes there's no chance any more I am afraid.

Sorry, it is time for reaching out to the backup media.
Hopefully you have recent ones as recommended in the pvmove manual page.

Regards,
Heinz    -- The LVM Guy --

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:08:39PM +0100, MrNatcho wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am having problems to access my LV after trying to move data off two PV's. Here's what I did before the
> error occured:
>
> 1. I freed up enough space and resize'd the ReiserFS partition
> 2. I reduced the LV using lvreduce, leaving approx. 100GB free space in the VG
> 3. I tried to free up a 80GB Disk in the VG using "pvmove /dev/hdc1" - this one failed after a dozen or so
> PE's giving an error message I unfortunately didn't put down
> 4. I tried to free up a 60GB Disk using the same command...to no avail - error after 20 or 30 PE's
> 5. I tried different parameters for pvmove: -i didn't help, addressing the PE's to be moved directly fails
> every few PE's. Putting in a destination device with enough free space didn't do any good, too. Finally, I
> managed to free up a whole device by addressing the LE's to be moved away from the device.
> 6. The PV then showed 0 allocated PE's, so I tried to remove the PV using vgreduce. That one failed
> saying that the device wasn't empty. At that point, I was totally confused and tried to find the cause using
> the display commands to see if I missed any vital information. At one point, I started vgscan to see that
> brings any more information. the output is as follows:
>
> vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
> vgscan -- found active volume group "ftpdata_vg"
> vgscan -- only found 30458 of 29947 LEs for LV /dev/evil_vg/lvol1 (0)
> vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get data of volume group
> "evil_vg" from physical volume(s)
> vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
> vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume groups
>
> >From searching the list archives I have seen that other people have had this problem before, but I have
> been unable to find a solution in the list archives.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint what to try? Restoring the configuration didn't help, probably because the
> several pvmove's did fill the 9 .old config's with messed up data...
>
> The box is a SuSE 8.0 with a vanilla 2.4.18 kernel and the LVM tools are version 1.0.3.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards
> Stefan

*** Software bugs are stupid.
    Nevertheless it needs not so stupid people to solve them ***

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Am Sonnenhang 11
                                                  56242 Marienrachdorf
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 2626 141200
                                                       FAX 924446