[linux-lvm] resize LV

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Tue Jan 28 16:34:02 UTC 2003

I haven't at ReiserFS in a year or so, but last I checked, you could
expand a filesystem online, but shrinking online one was not possible if
that is of importance to the original poster.  You can shrink it offline
however.

http://www.namesys.com/resize_reiserfs.html#EXAMPLES
According to the docs, that information is still current about reiserfs.

For JFS:
http://www10.software.ibm.com/developer/opensource/cvs/jfs/linux24/Documentation/filesystems/jfs.txt?rev=1.20&content-type=text
According to this, the current JFS only supports expanding, which I
(which is should do while online).  However, it doesn't appear to
support shrinking it at all.

Now about ext2:

There is a project on sourceforge for the ext2 resizing:
http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net/download.html

Here's a post by the author to in in the LVM mailing archive:
http://linux.msede.com/lvm_mlist/archive/1999/07/0055.html
(I've seen him post about it a lot more recently then that).

Here's a page that appears to have some explaination about it:
http://www-mddsp.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/adilger/online-ext2/

I have no idea how current they all are, I just googled for the ext2
resize online, plenty of links.

Last I knew they don't support ext3, but they wanted to do that.  It
used to take a kernel patch to use it.  I'm not sure if it still does.

	Thanks,
		Kirby

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 16:13, Tren Blackburn wrote:
> Yes, you can resize a reiserfs filesystem while mounted.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tren

Real Programmers view electronic multimedia files with a hex editor.